Thursday, December 20, 2007

Happy Birthday Hunter!

Hunter is 14 years old today. I have no idea where those years went. I was hugging him today and realized that he is taller than me. Not by a little bit but a few inches. Why have I not noticed that!? Hunter is in the 8th grade and is doing good in school. He's in the Beta Club this year. He's a good kid and you can tell he's a "Smith". Which means he likes to talk-loudly and to anyone who will listen, has a big heart, loves farm life--even though we have no livestock, and loves his family. He genuinly cares about others and has taken an active role in taking care of Isabella. He likes to cook and is pretty darned good at it. He's been self-sufficent in that aspect since he was about 8 years old. Even though he's a boy, he likes to sew. He's gonna kill me when he reads this. He had sewn a project for school here at home and the teacher made me write a note saying he did all the work. Please! When do I have time to sew?! He also has a good head on his shoulders with a good imagination too. He got asked to have a poem published in a book called "Anthology of Poetry by Young Americans". He was part of a handful of kids from all over the US. Here is his poem

I'm from open rolling farmland, 4x4 trucks in the mud,
Grandma's cherry pie and chocolate cake
with homemade carmel icing.
I'm from bacon and tomato sandwiches
on a hot summer day,
vegetable soup in the winter.

I'm from the smell of pink diesel fuel
going into a Case 1210 in the winter,
Little Farmall 100 plowing our garden,
Chevrolet trucks loaded wiith wood.
I'm from 12-guage shotguns booming in the distance,
.45 pistol shooting at an old deer sign.
I'm from gravel driveways and wood stoves and barns.
My name is Hunter Smith and this is where I'm from.

Pretty good I think. I just wanted to share why we think Hunter is such a wonderful young man and a joy to have in this family. We Love You Hunter!!

P.S. The blog wouldn't let me upload a pic of Hunter. Stupid blog!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday Hunter!!!

m.j.f. said...

happy birthday HUNTER!!!!

that is an AWESOME poem!!!
i love to write poetry and stuff and i think that is great that you already are proud of who you are and where you are from....im proud of you..

also...killian likes to sew and knit, and he also likes his compound bow and trucks and fishing - it just means that you guys are well rounded dudes with big hearts! your future wives will appreciate it!

loves to all of YOU!

mitzi*jade