Sunday, October 28, 2007

MY adoption story

In the back: Me (the oldest), Sonya (middle one), Joyelle (Sonya's daughter she gave up for adoption), Judi (my birth mother)
In front: Mitzi (the youngest), Shannon (the next oldest), and Kim (family friend).


This is my adoption story. Most of you that read this blog know I was adopted. For those of you that didn't know that info, it's one reason adoption is near and dear to my heart. So here goes............My Mom decided to adopt a child after 2 miscarriages and a still born baby. They adopted me through the state when I was 4 months old. I have always known I was adopted but didn't really feel any differently. My mom went on to have my 2 more children of their own. To look at us, you wouldn't think I was adopted. Most of my friends never believed me until I got mom to verify it. I was very secure and never felt an "emptiness". The thought of finding my birth family never crossed my mind until I had my first child. I had a very tearful conversation with my Mom and the thought of hurting her really upset me. She said she would support me in whatever I decided to do. I didn't look at that time. I guess God felt like it wasn't the right time. I would have thoughts about it when Oprah would do a show on adoptees or something but that drive was never really there. One day in early 2002, something clicked and I wanted to look for my birth family. I wanted to know who I looked like and if I had any siblings. I had no desire to bad-mouth my birth mother. Heck, I didn't know if she was alive or if she wanted me to find her. Maybe I was a deep dark secret no one knew about. I felt strongly though that I needed to tell her that I wasn't mad at her, that I was OK, and that I had an amazing upbringing. I felt bad for my birth mother, wondering if she thought about me all the time and how I turned out. It was more for her sake that I looked. To make a short story even shorter, it only took me 4 days to find her. I was on a mission and I wasn't going to stop until I did. In Feb of 2002 we talked for the first time, on a Wed I think. We set up to meet that Saturday afternoon at my sister's house who happened to live in Georgetown. Well, Judi and my sister's were all there and we spent hours getting to know each other and trying to cram 34 years into a small amount of time. Fast forward to now, I am close to all of them. We talk often and get together when we can. It is the best thing I have done. I don't regret it at all. It was hard at first on my parents even though they wouldn't tell me that it was. I think they were worried that I would replace them but I reassured them that THEY were my parents and nothing was going to change that. They have since met Judi a couple of times and my sisters too. Everyone is OK with it now.

I'm writing this partly to tell you guys how comfortable I am with being adopted and tell you that it's not an everyday thought. Maybe it's my personality on how well I've dealt with it but I don't think so. I think it had everything to do with my parents. I am so glad they adopted me and I wouldn't change a thing. I just hope that I can do the same for Isabella. I want to make her feel so secure and loved that she doesn't dwell on being adopted and that it isn't a problem for her. I know I can do that.

I left a lot of the story out because of length but I hope you got the jist of it. i just wanted to share the wonderful birth mother and sisters that I have. I know I didn't give you any insight to their lives but that would take FOREVER to do 4 people. Just know that I am VERY PROUD to be part of their family. They never hesitated to take me in and make me a part of their lives. I love them for that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you so much Angie, and I'm forever grateful that you found us and have loved us from the beginning. Just to let you know, you are a beautiful person insided and out and I proud to call you my sister.